Not having fun!
It’s 5:35am and a grown man of 42 sits weeping.
I may not be good at anything but flipping heck I try. And hard at that too if you don’t mind.
Since winning Twincare HSOTY 17 the amount of hatred being flung my way is off the charts. Reports from the grapevine have left me feeling bewildered and shattered.So much so that I actually wish I hadn’t won.
Stylists from other salons being told to not congratulate me or downsizing the win with phrases like : ” He competed against minimal talent so it was easy.” Even within my own salon the happiest are the guys who sacrificed time to assist me getting stuff done.
So let me explain something very clearly.
2 years ago after a 10 year break from the competition arena I started competing again. In those 10 years I had to learn to control my inner-child that desperately wanted to not only be dead but also an addict. The reasons are self explanatory in my earlier blogs. Go read them if you want.
WHY DO I COMPETE?
1) the exercise of developing a look, then manufacturing it and then seeing it live on a person is the main reason. There is something seriously exciting seeing ART live.
2) Technically, salon work is limited by the willingness of clients to explore different looks. Unfortunately, most of us are surrendered to the ‘conservative’ and or ‘corporate’ world’s we live in. So as an artist it is just fun to do some crazy things sometimes.
3) Competitions are a great measure to learn new ideas and develop ideas. To accomplish things sometimes can be a gruelling process of trial and error.
4) Seeing the imagination of my industry colleagues blows my mind because EVERY persons individuality is so beautiful to see visibly in their art.
5) Testing my own commitment to a new idea always yields interesting things about myself.
6) IT IS WHAT I LOVE….KINDA LIKE MY HOBBIE. HAIRDRESSING ART IS MY FUN PLACE.
So here is some information for you haters out there. Not only do you insult the people who took the time, money and effort to get into the match, you make yourself look like everything that all of us hate about humans. Judgemental, nasty, jealous and self-important.
This is what it took over the last 3 year’s to finally get a win that says: ‘I am good enough to dream my dreams’
Besides the money which has cost close to R120000 over the last 3 years, just by the way. The criteria stipulates various things, all of which cost not making money in the salon (because you are out doing other stuff) and spending money to meet those criteria. LIKE: going on courses to improve ones standard of knowledge/ participation in creating awareness in our the hair industry ( and as any stylist knows because most people think hair just happens by itself the money does not flow easily )/ buying things to achieve things like makeup (and then someone drops your kit and hundreds of rands are lost), accessories, grips (oh gosh they do add up), things get stolen like a R2000 flatiron or R10000 scissor. Paying photographer’s (wishing I could pay these amazing artists more to show my appreciation for them), doing trade exchanges and begging people to allow you to play on their hair is taxing.
ETC ETC ETC ETC ETC.
All that aside. Dealing with others is tough. I have wished I could be the makeup artist/ model/photographer/ editor all myself many times. Learning to accept that things will be what they will be is never an easy lesson.
And when you are paying it ALL yourself it means giving up stuff to accomplish those things.
AND I WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO TO KEEP PUSHING MYSELF TO BE BETTER AND BETTER AND BETTER. IT IS NOT ABOUT THE WIN, ( ALTHOUGH IT IS NICE) IT IS ABOUT HONOURING THE ORIGIN OF HOW THIS INDUSTRY STARTED…..SOMEONE TRYING SOMETHING DIFFERENT.
The rest is history….go read it! It is exciting to see where HAIRDRESSING came from.
So in the nicest possible………. if you have anything nasty to say why don’t you take the time, the money, the energy, and face the criticism of others and then face the music. ( judgement from judges)
YOU WILL SOON LEARN THAT WHEN THE CURTAIN GOES UP, WHETHER FAIL OR SUCCEED, YOUR IMAGINATION ALREADY IS THINKING OF WHAT NEXT TO DO. SO YES I AM GUILTY OF LOVING ART/ FASHION/ IMAGINATION / CREATIVITY. I HOPE I NEVER CHANGE!!!
I LOVE LEARNING….HOW ABOUT YOU?